Child Custody for Military Families
Child Custody for Military Families
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Military Divorce
  4.  » Child Custody for Military Families

Let A Lawyer And Military Veteran Guide You Through Your Child Custody Case

Negotiating child custody agreements in a military divorce requires a lawyer with knowledge of the military as well as state laws. Our founder, attorney Greg Ryan, is a former Judge Advocate General in the JAG Corps and understands the issues and concerns unique to military families. The legal team at Greg Ryan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLLC, understands the impact of military relocation, deployment and permanent change of station can have on custody arrangements. Attorney Ryan and his team know how to address problems unique to military families.

For an initial consultation, please call Greg Ryan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLLC, in Honolulu at 808-796-5613 or contact us by email. Greg Ryan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLLC, has proudly represented military members and military spouses throughout Hawaii for nearly two decades.

Helping Military Families Navigate Child Custody Challenges

Military members and their spouses regularly turn to Greg Ryan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLLC, for help creating workable parenting plans. Greg Ryan and his team have extensive experience in modifying child custody agreements when deployment, relocating to another state, remarriage and other matters make modifications or the temporary surrender of custody necessary. Our law firm can work to protect your parental rights while looking out for the best interests of your children.

To learn more, please see our Hawaii Child Custody FAQ.

Taking Advantage Of The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

The SCRA was created to protect the legal rights of military personnel when they are deployed, on active duty or receive Permanent Change of Station orders. The SCRA allows servicemembers to postpone noncriminal court appearances or stop a legal action imposed by the court if the action interferes with an individual’s military service. This often comes into play during a military divorce when an ex-spouse or co-parent wants to change a child custody arrangement. The legal team at Greg Ryan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLLC, helps servicemembers use the SCRA to protect their rights whenever it is appropriate to do so.

What Are The Types Of Child Custody In Hawaii?

Generally, there are two custody issues that must be addressed when military parents split up: 1) “physical custody” and 2) “legal custody.” Physical custody refers to where the child will reside, either with one parent primarily or with both parents equally under a parental time sharing agreement. Legal custody refers to which parent will be responsible for making various important decisions in the child’s life, such as decisions related to school, church and medical care. In Hawaii, physical and legal custody can be shared in accordance with a “joint custody” agreement. Alternatively, in increasingly rare instances, physical and legal custody may be held by one parent in a “sole custody” arrangement. When physical custody is granted to one parent, typically the other parent will have visitation rights and and the obligation to pay child support.

Contact Greg Ryan & Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLLC, Today

To discuss child custody in a military divorce, please call our Honolulu office at 808-796-5613 or complete our contact form. We advise and represent clients throughout Hawai’i.